Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mountain Man

 


2/27/2013


Mountain Man


I am Hawkeye Finn, and....... I want to be a mountain man.

I am the great, great, grandson of Huckleberry Finn, and have shared his raft.

On my mother's side, I am direct descendent of my namesake, "Hawkeye"; of James Fenimore Cooper;  and I treasure the friendship of noble Chingatchgook.

I am friend to Jody and Flag, ("The Yearling").  

And I have chased the bear through the swamp with Faulkner.

I am second cousin to Jeremiah Johnson, and…..I want to be a mountain man! 

I am distant kin to James Dickey;  and somewhere in my ancestry is Strider; destined to be revealed as Aragorn. 
I know Quixote,  and am an irrepressible chaser of windmills.

My joy is outdoors.  I want to breathe fresh air,  feel wind and rain on my face……. hear the song of clear mountain streams.

My bliss is in the overwhelming beauty of nature, of wilderness and wild things.  I know the peace of sunrise,  of sunset,  of summer rain........ and the quiet beauty of hoar frost on trees.

It is outdoors,  that I feel the presence of my God.  I am surrounded by him in nature….. not in a church.

I am born of mother earth.  I understand who I am.   I know my joys.  I know my fears, and I know this path that I follow.

And with my whole being, I know,that….. I want to be a mountain man.