Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wet Socks

2/27/2013


Wet Socks

Each new experience entails taking a deep breath……letting go of the known…. and stepping forward.  Each day, we take that same small, momentous, step.
Each of us overcomes his fear and steps.  It is the magical moment of our lives!
For many,  taking that first step to new experience, is easy.  But for some of us,  it truly seems a climb up a mountain.
It is hard to start.  For me,  the hardest part is to start.
I have hiked most of the Superior Hiking Trail in sections each spring,  for the last several years.  I wanted to get some experience.  I wanted to determine whether I really wished to try to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.


For me, the hardest thing about hiking is leaving the comfort of my sleeping bag,  and pulling on those wet socks and wet shoes.  I just dread it.  Yes, I know.  You're saying…“Are you kidding me?”  But the truth is that for me, it is a hard thing to do.  I want to stay in that bag.  I want to be warm.  And I want to be safe.  But Stronger than my need to be safe is the desire to hike up the mountain.  
I don’t want to stay in that safe known,  forever.  I really do want to walk up the next hill to new experience.  So I take a breath, venture out of that sleeping bag, pull on cold clammy socks, and double tie wet shoes.
Whew.  I did it!  Hurray.  I am on my way!  I can not wait to see what is at the top of that hill!

Yoda says,  “Do or do not.  There is no try!”  The Force is strong in Yoda.  He has great strength and great courage.   I, like most ordinary men, aspire to Yoda’s certainty.  But the Force has a tendency to come and go in me.  I can feel it; it is always there.   But it's power is unpredictable and not controlled.

The truth is that I am not sure, not absolutely sure, that I will get there.

 I do promise myself this.  I will take that first scary step.  And then I will enjoy my life's journey.  
 I will step forward and……I will try!

P.S.  Don’t worry.  I am done talking about Yoda and The Force.  My friends would warn you that what you should be worried about is that I am not done talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment