Sunday, August 11, 2013

On To Maine

8/11/2013

On To Maine


I have hiked the "Whites".  Wow.  It was really a thrill being above the tree line for extended periods.  I got very lucky, and had good weather, except for Carter Dome....near the northern end of the White Mountains.  It rained hard all day that day,  and I was walking in 15 inches of water,  on the trail,  in some of the dips..... even though way up there.  The trail was a flowing river of water.
Before that, on the day that I went up to Franconia Ridge,  it was raining when I started the climb,  but cleared off by the time I got up on top.   The view was amazing.   Later,  when I did Mt. Washington and what is called the Northern Presidentials,  I had clear weather again.   I got to experience the best of the "Whites".  It was physically harder, even, than I expected.   I would not describe traversing  much of the "Whites" as hiking.  It is rock climbing....mountain climbing.... it is hands and feet climbing up and down the rock faces.   I went slow, and I took time off to rest.  It was a good choice.  I enjoyed the "Whites", and was able to make it through them. 
I will be in Maine soon.  First I am resting again.  Maine is hard too.....at least the first 100 to 150 miles.  In the Whites, all thru-hikers  (young and not so young) average 11.4 miles a day.  I did 8 to 11.  From Gorham, NH,where I am at present, to Stratton, Maine.... they average 12.5 miles a day.....so it remains challenging.  I plan to continue to go slow.  I want to enjoy it as much as possible. And I do want to make it to Katahdin.   I have come a long way.  I do want the satisfaction of getting there.
Many people say that the hike through Maine is their favorite part of the thru-hike.   I must admit,  that I am thinking of home, too.  So I will try to balance seeing Maine,  against the wish to get done and to return home. 
Please note that my AT&T phone service is very, very sporadic again.  I have not intentionally abandoned you. 
I am meeting up with some old friends....which is a real treat for me....as I had envisioned all of them  having completed their hikes.  It inspires me to see them, and I feed off their enthusiasm.  
When other hikers ask us where we are going....we will no longer respond that we are going to Maine.
We will tell them that we are going to Katahdin!


No comments:

Post a Comment