Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Update

8/21/2013


Update

I have arrived in Stratton, Maine.  I'll take a day off here, and then head for Monson.  I am meeting my brother, Ray,  there.   We are hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness,  and then summiting Katahdin together.   The 100 Mile Wilderness is not as fearsome as it sounds.  You just do not have access to any towns and ordinary resuppply.
I have been bagging lots of Maine peaks.  Saddleback Mountain was especially fun.   Maine is 90% woods and lakes.  The trail so far is scenic and challenging, but the truth is that it is easier than The Whites of New Hampshire.  Maine residents take great pride in their peaks,  and may scowl a bit at my saying so....... but the "Whites" were tougher..... a lot tougher.  I have yet to climb Bigelow, White Cap, and of course the waiting giant....Katahdin.  Still, the end of this adventure is in sight.  Counting....and I am.... the Springer Mountain approach trail,  where this amazing journey began....I am just over 2000 miles into this hike,  and have a bit less than 200 miles to go.  Barring injury,  we will summit Katahdin.  Taking more time off has increased my strength,  and I have even gained back some pounds.  I feel good and look forward to the rest of the journey. 
Please note that phone service is sporadic and often not sufficient for photos.  I will keep you informed as best that I am able.  






No comments:

Post a Comment