Saturday, June 20, 2015

Mountain Bike Race

6/20/2015


Mountain Bike Race


"Sequoia" woke me up at 5 AM.   Actually I woke up 15 minutes before my alarm could go off, and 30 seconds before he came over and twanged the rope holding my tent pole.   Or I would've jumped through the tent.  I was almost ready to head out at 6 AM as planned.  So now I am ready to go.
"Sequoia" has probably been chomping at the bit for hours....but "Airborne" is not ready.  We both crawled into camp on our bellies last night.
So we agree that I will start ahead of them, and see how my knees are today.  All in all,  they felt pretty good.  I was optimistic....until I shouldered that pack and tried to walk down the hill to the trailhead parking lot.
Near the bottom, a woman with a giant video camera,  asks me if I know about the mountain bike race today?   And I say, that yes indeed, I know.
And she says, "Well, I'm the Videographer,  and there are 200 (crazy.... lunatics going 100 miles an hour..... my words) racers coming down that road,  and going up that trail, you are on........ at any instant.  So would you mind hurrying down?  Please!!!"
I do my best hobble, as my one knee has not rejuvinated over night,  like the other one,  somewhat miraculously,  has done.   I make it to the bottom, drop my pack,  and sit just to the far side of the road, that the thundering herd of racers is coming down.  I know now, that my knee is going nowhere, fast,  today.  And I know that I will have to "Whoossy Boy",  and make decisions with "Airborne" and "Sequoia" soon.  
But I also know that they are due to hike down that twisting,  turning slope any second..... just as the 200 fanatics arrive.  And I know,  that I am going to have the front row seat to the spectacle!  Oh hohohoho!  This is gonna be good!   The timing is perfect.  I can see the moving cloud of dust approaching the trail..... and there my two buddies are,  right in the middle of the trail.... about 1/3 of the way down the hill.
Trail monitors are screeming, yelling, waving flags at the racers.  "HIKERS IN THE TRAIL"........   "HIKERS IN THE TRAIL!!!!!"  Racers are slamming on their brakes.  And I am enthralled.   Oh man.   This is even better than I had immagined.  My buddies are two old deer, caught in the headlights........ with no where to go.   And I could have filmed it all, saved it for posterity, but was so intently mesmerized by the whole disaster,  that I never even thought of it.  What a fiasco!  I hope that all of those super fit men and women have a sense of humor..... because I tell yah .... it really was funny!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I would have been freaking out. Stay off wheat. It will help your knee. Remember? Only eat bear, deer, berries, apples in the woods. Fish ok tooπŸ³πŸŽπŸ‡πŸ…πŸ“πŸ—πŸ πŸ»πŸΊπŸ„πŸ˜œ

    ReplyDelete