Thursday, June 25, 2015

Wuussy Boy

6/25/2015


6/25/2015

6/19/2015

Wussy Boy


When you finally launch yourself up the trail, after all of that planning, and all of that training........you are really pumped up.  When you're with two other men, who are "Gung ho!" too..... it is easy to be stupid.
And I was!  That first morning, because of the changed starting point, instead of three nights and 4 days of meals, we were carrying six full days of meals.  And I was carrying a whole bunch of extra 4.5 ounce Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate, and extra Snickers bars, and extra chocolate Cliff Bars.  It's chocolate.  I just can't give, nor throw that treasure away!
No.  Not after being on the "Wheat Belly Diet" for 6 months!  Are you kidding me?
See......I told you that it is easy to be stupid.

( Getting our first rain and thunder, as I write this.  My seam sealing, of my new Tarptent is a success.  Yay!)

At around 7 miles, our first day,  my knees started crying. " Too much weight!".
At eight miles, they told me to "Stop, right now.  Stop.  We are not even kidding!"
I do not want to be a "Wuussy Boy" in front of two other men.....think Arnold Schwartzeneggger, and his notorious allusion to "Girly men".  No way.  I would rather be stupid,  than a wimp.....as would all guys.  Right?  So while "Airborne" huffed and puffed on ahead, with "Sequoia", a younger,  hiking god, with really great legs, by the way;(yes.... I had to point that out.  Aren't you getting the message here?), I hobbled behind, covering 200 to 300 yards at a time.  And then sat on anything that did not move.  Rested, and then hobbled some more..... for another five miles. We had to hike the last three to get to the water.

So, should I be surprised that I could not hike the next day?  Stupid? Yes!   Especially for experienced AT thru-hikers.  But "Girly Men"?  Hell No!

No comments:

Post a Comment