Thursday, March 21, 2013

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

3/21/2013


3/21/2013


3/21/2013


Great Smoky Mountains National Park


For the last three days,  the only thing anyone is talking about is the Smoky Mountains.    We are at NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center) right now.  I am in a nice warm bed.......ahahahaha.   Last night we froze our butts again.  It was 17 degrees down here.  Probably 10 degrees,  plus wind and snow......see picture......up on the mountain.   I could not find any bear tracks.
He must have been farther away than I thought.  That bear needs a bath.
The Smoky Mountains....The Smoky Mountains.  As I said, it's all you hear.  We are all excited..... and a little afraid too.   We aren't real scared of the climbs; we are a bit cocky,  having survived Georgia,  and North Carolina, so far.  What we fear is the weather.
We hope to slip in quietly, three days from now,  and hike hard for a week.  Then get out quick......before the beast knows we are there!   If the beast wakes up,  he can dump two or three feet of snow on you really fast, at this time of year...... and stop you in your tracks.  It has happened to a lot of hikers before us.
Then you lie in your tent for 3 or 4 days waiting to get rescued.
I am told the weather report calls for rain Sun,Mon,Tues.
Does that mean snow up top?   I hope not.

Please note that there is practically no cell phone service, except in town,  so it may be awhile before I post again.  How did you like the Spring Beauties?  Trees and shrubs are going to sprout leaves in 2 or 3 days.
Poked a hole in my tent with my hiking pole......luckily in the vestibule not the sleeping area.....sewed it.  Burned a hole in my glove....lost a water bottle......and yesterday snapped my ultra light hiking pole in half.  Hiking is hard on gear.  Great Smoky Mountains!  Here we come!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to see your enjoying yourself. Is it harder than you planned? I really like reading your posts and keeping up to date with your trip. How many miles you got behind you now? keep it up, one step at a time

    ReplyDelete