Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lessons Learned

3/19/2013

Lessons Learned

(I just wiped some snot onto my sleeve, and I have not even left town yet.  Hahahaha.)

Everyone falls on the trail.  Everyone.   I have only fallen once so far......a nice easy slip on the mud,  into the mud......tweaking my thumb just a bit........ a lucky non incident.
Yesterday,  I was moving aside for one of those young speed demons,  named "Dave Crockett",  when the pole in my left hand punched through the turf,  into space.   And I was suddenly launching off the edge of the trail....... into space, myself.  Time stopped.   And I could see that "Dave Crockett" was reaching for me...... but that he would be too late.  I could see it in his eyes.   Without even thinking,  I dropped the pole in my right hand,  as I tumbled off the edge....... and latched onto a small tree with one hand,  as I went by..... that happened to be right there where I needed it...... and stopped my fall off the edge.
Instantly,  we both cracked up laughing.   And Dave said that it wouldn't have been too bad, because the slope..... it was a very steep slope, not a cliff.....did not have any rocks.   So when I stopped tumbling and sliding.... I would probably be okay.
Yah....after I tumbled and slid 500 yards down that slope!  
The lesson learned, is to stay on the inside of the trail,  and allow the speed demons to pass on the outside.....the cliff or steep slope side.
Whew!!  Thank, you know who, for a tree.............. when you really need one.
"Hawkeye".

No comments:

Post a Comment