Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A memorable day

6/11/2013

A Memorable Day

On Sunday June 9th,  I hiked through the town of Duncannon, PA.  I stopped at an ice cream shop called the 3B,  on Market Street...... and ordered a strawberry shake, and a pulled pork sandwich. They have picnic tables, so I gabbed with the other customers while I ate.  Next I ordered a two scoop Black Cherry cone.....It was gigantic!  It was also really good.  So when I finally finished it.....  I ordered another one!  I was probably there for an hour and a half.  I got a chance to meet almost everyone in the town.    I think I may be part owner of that place now.

I somehow waddled across two bridges.  The second one was crossing the Susquehanna River....don't know the other smaller river.  Anyhow, I was making my way up the hill.....there is always a hill.....when I met a man, 37, and his three sons, hiking down the hill.  The boys were ages 7 , and twin 5 year olds.  They each had found a stick,  to use as a hiking pole.   I said hi, and we talked a bit.  I was still pretty full and ready to sit on a comfortable rock awhile.
The dad told me his sons knew about hiking, and the AT.  He said that I was the first bonified Thru-Hiker the boys had ever met.  That was how it began...... with hello's and a chat,  that I thought would last ten minutes.   I showed the lads my bear pictures....... and my snake pictures!  They could not get close enough to the phone!  They were transfixed.  I half expected those little boys to step into the cell phone...... as Alice had stepped through the looking glass.  It was that kind of moment.  The next hour was an absolute joy!  We talked about hiking..... and bears......  and snakes!  We talked about the mountain that they could see from their home.....  and the stream that ran past it.
The older son was a talker..... like me.  I told him that he seemed older than seven to me......and he agreed.
"I'm more like 8.....I am 8.....well.........  I will be eight,  on my birthday,  in July....so I am pretty much 8 already." He assured me.
"Yes.....I can tell," I told him.   His dad and I both laughed.
Our conversations continued on like that.  It was a magical moment.   At the end, dad got out his camera.  We took places on the rock...... and I gathered those three precious little boys into my arms while dad snapped a picture...... so they will remember "Hawkeye"...........  their first AT Thru-hiker.
 I did not think to ask dad to take a picture with my own phone.  I wish I had.  But I know that I will always remember that time with those children..... and the joy they brought to me.   It was one of the best times of this hike.  I will remember them. 
I will remember the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment