Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Lemon Squeezer and Baby Pigeons

6/27/2013


The Lemon Squeezer and Baby Pigeons


I packed up from my illegal tent site early today (Thursday June 27th)  and arrived shortly at the Lemon Squeezer.  It was too narrow to negotiate with a pack on, so I took my pack off,  and carried it ahead of me.....above my head.  After getting through  the squeezer, I was immediately faced with a rock wall about 8 ft. high.  It was not possible to climb it wjth my pack on.  I tried.  But there was not enough room.  I threw my poles up on top, and then pushed my pack up and over the ledge.  I thought about all the baby pigeons we had stuffed into our pants pockets and T-shirts,  while climbing the sandstone cliffs at Mounds Park,  or under those East Side Bridges.....the old Third Street Bridge..... and the newer 6th Street Bridge, in St. Paul,  as kids.  And I said to myself,  "I can do this....I did tougher cliffs, for pigeons all the time".   I thought of Finn's Alley, and my fellow Finn Gangers,  at home.  This rock face was the toughest challenge so far...... but I could do it.  As my friend, Randy,  is known to do, I yelled "Your Mamma!!!" at the rock face, as loud as I could...... with absolute insolence...... to let it know that I was coming up.....it could not stop me.   Then I took a deep breath, and I climbed that wall!
When I got up top,  I noticed the Blue Blaze sign indicating an easier way around the wall.  I am East Sider!  I am Finn Ganger!  I am Hawkeye!  There is no Blue Blaze for me!!










No comments:

Post a Comment