Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Finally the end............of Pennsylvania

6/18/2013

Finally the end of Pennsylvania

It's 4:30 in the afternoon, and it's raining.....a typical day, except for the fact that I am not walking in the rain.  I am in my tent already, staying dry,  as this thunderstorm rolls overhead.  I stopped hiking for the day,  more than two hours ago; a very short day, of very slow hiking........a planned thing.  I am about 5 miles out of Delaware Water Gap, PA.  Which is the end of this
state,  and the start of New Jersey.   YAY!!!!!!!  I am happily done hiking in Pennsylvania.   This state beat me up, physically....... and mentally.   My right hip is sore...... and has been for three days.  It has not impacted my hiking,  but has bothered me at night , and resulted in limited sleep, which makes for a long day.  My back is tired, and my feet are battered.  As I already admitted,  the rocks reduced me to a screaming, swearing basket case.
The good news is that it's over.  Goodbye Pennsylvania. 
I did a short 12 miles today, and will walk the 5 miles into town,  in the morning.  I have rented a room for two nights.  Tomorrow will be a Nero day (a short 5 miles) and Thursday will be a Zero day (no hiking miles).  I would have preferred to hike Thursday,  but the fact is that I need to rest and recover a bit.  I don't want my hip to get any worse. ( Just got a flash flood warning on my phone.  It's really pouring.  I expect that I am up too high for a flood).   I also need to find my way out of the "these f------ rocks" mode,  and back into the, " having fun",  mode.  Zoe's Ice Cream is right across the street, from the point in town where I get off the trail.  I am going to Zoe's! 
Saw a doe and fawn or fawns 


today....could not tell for sure if it was one or two youngsters,  in the tall ferns.  None of 'em would hold still for a photo....see?  I tried. 
One final note of interest. (Whoa!  That lightning was close!)   I have discovered an amazing number of new worms, flying insects,  and other unusual bugs..... ranging in size from tiny specs to about four inches!!  Ninety percent of them, I found crawling on the back of my neck.  The rest flew into my eyes......my ears.......or,  up my nose!!!!  Where do they go from there?  I can't find 'em. Now,how did that damn, biting ant, get in this tent? 
I ate dinner twice already tonight.  I was trying to run that large fuel canister out of gas, so that I can toss it in town, without wasting any.  No luck on that.  Maybe I'll eat again,  if the rain and lightning,  stop before dark.  Hawkeye. 






No comments:

Post a Comment